The Flemington Community Partnership is a Business Improvement District with the mission of fostering a thriving business community in the Borough of Flemington. We are charged with marketing the economic assets of the borough and creating partnerships to lead to the recruitment, growth, and retention of businesses and improved opportunities and quality of life for residents.
Board And Governance
The FCP’s Board of Directors is elected by commercial property owners and business owners (stakeholders). Here is a rundown on board service and our annual board election process, in accordance with our bylaws.
2019 Board Meetings
- Monday, March 18th 8:00 am – 9:30 am Blue Fish Grill
- Monday, May 20th 8:00 am – 9:30 am Blue Fish Grill
- Monday, July 15th 8:00 am – 9:30 am Blue Fish Grill
- Monday, September 16th 8:00 am – 9:30 am Blue Fish Grill
- Friday, October 25th 8:00 am – 9:30 am FCP Office
- Monday, November 18th 8:00 am – 9:30 am Blue Fish Grill
2019 Stakeholders’ Gatherings (w/ Board Business Meetings from 5 – 5:30pm)
- Monday, February 18th 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Monday, June 17th 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Fall Meeting – to be announced
Who Can Be a Board Member
Board Members may be commercial property owners located within the district, business owners who are tenants of the district, a member of the governing body of the Borough of Flemington (the “Council Liaison”), and residents of the Borough of Flemington (not to exceed 30% of the Board).
Who Elects Board Members
Board Members shall be elected by the majority vote of the commercial property and/or business owners, known collectively as “Stakeholders”. A commercial property owner or business owner shall be entitled to one (1) vote regardless of the number of properties or businesses owned in the district.
Board members are elected to three-year terms, with no limit on the terms a Trustee may serve.
Board Member Nominating and Election Process
Here’s what to expect each year.
- The FCP sends Stakeholders a letter seeking nominations by September 30th.
- The deadline for nominations is on October 15th
- Nominations are to be presented to and made by the Board at the FCP October Board meeting. (see Board Calendar for this year’s October Board meeting date.)
- The FCP mails ballots with the final slate of candidates no later than Novemeber 1st.
- Ballots must be returned to the Office of the Borough Clerk by no later than November 20th. They are counted by December 1st, and we announce the results soon thereafter.
You can access a nomination form here: FORM
Election of Board Officers
The Board of Trustees will elect its officers at its Annual Meeting in January.
The Board Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer and Secretary are elected for one-year terms.
- Support FCP’s mission, values, goals, policies, and programs while knowing its strengths and needs.
- Suggest possible nominees to the Board and Advisory Board who are men and women of achievement and who can make significant contributions to the work of the Board and the progress of FCP.
- Serve actively on committees of the Board as requested by the Chair and Executive Director.
- Vote, in some cases on short notice, by email as necessary in between monthly Board meetings.
- Attend activities and events sponsored by FCP whenever possible.
- Prepare for and participate in the Board’s monthly meetings and scheduled committee meetings.
- Ask timely and substantive questions at Board and committee meetings consistent with personal conscience, convictions, and ethics, while supporting the majority decision on issues decided by the Board.
- Maintain confidentiality of the Board’s executive sessions, and speak for the Board or FCP only when authorized to do so.
- Suggest agenda items for Board and committee meetings to ensure that significant policy-related matters are addressed.
- Serve FCP as a whole rather than any special interest group or constituency.
- Avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest that might compromise FCP, and disclose any possible conflicts to the board in a timely fashion.
- Never accept or offer any favors or gifts from or to anyone who does business with FCP.
- Exercise prudence and sound fiscal practices with the Board in the control of and transfer of FCP funds.
- Faithfully read and understand FCP’s financial statements and otherwise help the Board fulfill its fiduciary responsibility.
- Assist FCP with the development and implementation of fund development strategies.